Pages

Tuesday 19 August 2014

My hometown bucket list

This week I'm sharing with you my hometown bucket list! There are three trails nearby that I haven't fully explored yet, and I want to tick them off my bucket list. So for the next few months, I'd like to try a new trail out every couple of weeks. I'll do a new blog post as I tick these trails off my list, so keep tuned!

Karangahake Gorge is between Paeroa and Waihi and has some stunning walkways. This area is rich in goldmining history. Is takes me approximately 30 minutes to drive here, so definitely local for me. I have done the Windows walk a few times and also attempted to walk to the top of Mt. Karangakake but was totally unprepared. It's something I would love to try and get to the top of soon! I would like to explore the rail trail parts of the gorge and also to go through this long walkway tunnel people tell me about. 

Karangakake Gorge.  Image credit- womentravelnz.com

Kauaeranga Valley is by the township of Thames, so is around a 30 minute drive for me also. I have walked to the Pinnacles a couple of times but have never done any of the shorter trails. I'm definitely motivated to explore these shorter tracks.

The view of Kauaeranga Valley from Thames

Rail trail from Thames to Paeroa. I have walked from Kopu (a 10 minute drive for me) to Thames. I would like to start exploring south, heading towards Paeroa. It's quite far,  so I'll have to split it into smaller sections for me to explore.

Rail trail between Thames and Kopu

So where are your favourite trails to run?

1 comment:

  1. I ran the 7km Waihi Trail challenge a couple of years ago which goes through the Windows Walk and it was amazing - do it!
    The Pinnicles are on my list of things to do, and the Paeroa trail looks so tempting every time we drive through with all the cyclists!

    ReplyDelete