Pages

Monday 21 July 2014

How to survive Winter

We've been having quite a mild winter here in New Zealand, up until a few weeks ago. Currently, there's a cold southerly wind making it feel very cold! A lot of people I've spoken to have been getting sick and it doesn't seem to go away, a pesky cough and runny nose even after a couple of weeks. And even my family didn't escape these bugs, we were down for a good 2-3 weeks. So, I thought this Blog post would be great timing.

What motivates me?

The one thing that really motivates me is losing weight. My youngest child is nearly a year old and I'm desperate to lose my pregnancy weight. I've found after two pregnancies, my body shape has changed. I've come to realise my body will never be the same again. But I do hope to lose weight overall and to especially lose some weight on my flabby tummy. I find running really good for this, it is high impact so you burn a lot more calories compared to walking.

I also get motivated by the thought of improving my fitness. I find the more frequent I run, the easier it feels. I found it really difficult to not run while I was sick, and I certainly felt a difference with my first run post-sick. It felt like I had to start from scratch again. I also notice a difference in my every day life when I'm fitter. It's easier to chase after and play with my kids, and I find I'm more confident to walk places instead of driving.

Lastly, I get motivated because I want to feel healthy. I find my mood changes a lot when I'm not running. And I'm amazed how quickly this changes after a run. Even my family notice I'm a lot happier when I'm exercising regularly!

What keeps me running?

Sometimes I find it really difficult getting out the door for a run. But then I remind myself how I feel after a run, that runner's high. I feel happy and energetic after a run and by visualizing this feeling, I get motivated to run.

I also want to be a role model for my kids. I want them to see me exercising regularly and that it's a normal part of every day life. I want them to participate and enjoy exercise knowing that it's helping them to be and feel healthy.

So what do I do when I'm sick?

Rest. I think this is important. It's your body telling you to slow down so that your body can use all it's energy on repairing itself and fighting off whatever bug/virus you've got. Sleep when you can, spend time watching tv, reading a book, doing puzzles etc.

Drink lots of water. Your body functions a lot more efficiently when it's properly hydrated. Have a drink bottle nearby to sip from and also try to drink a glass with every meal.

I also take vitamin C when I'm sick to help my immune system and drink a Lemsip before going to bed to give me that extra pain relief. Vicks vapour rub is also a favourite of mine, it helps to clear a blocked nose and smells really nice too.

I also enjoy having lots of warming food when I'm sick. Soups, casseroles and cups of tea to help rehydrate.

What are your tried and true tricks to helping you get through Winter? Let me know so I can try it out for next time!

Image courtesy of Bloggerfit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment